Changing Career Options (aka “Reinventing Yourself”)

Home Forums Work Job Search Changing Career Options (aka “Reinventing Yourself”)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  YeahItSucks 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

YeahItSucks

Some people come to the realization they need to change careers for one reason or another. It will be interesting to see if there’s a a lot of career changers/people reinventing themselves in the coming years as jobs change due to automation. If you’re in the process of changing careers or you were successful in reinventing yourself, share your story here. Others will certainly be interested!

• #9489 Score: 0 | Reply

Nat

I recently gave up my job as a disability support worker due to back issues caused by a car accident after trying to get back into the job for 10 months. I now need to change career. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• #9491 Score: 0 | Reply

Nat

I was involved in a car accident and as a result needed upper back surgery. I tried for ten months to get back to my job (after having 7 months off). My biggest issue has been cleaning, driving for too long etc. This limited the amount of cliets I could support and the company started to be less supportive. As a result of this and my physical limitations I chose to leave the job for my physical and mental health. Having done so disability support is no longer an option as most companies in disability support in South Australia require you to be able to do everything without limitation because they can’t guarantee what they are going to need you to do.
    I am hence looking for a career change possibly into administration but not sure how to go about it.

• #9603 Score: 0 | Reply

YeahItSucks

Hi Nat…thanks for the additional background. It’s good you got out for your own well being but obviously you want/need to figure out your next step!

I’m not sure what resources are available in Australia to re-train, but in the US, there are some colleges that will do career assessments to help people figure out what they’re best suited for. Perhaps you can do a search to see if there’s anything in your area that provides a free career assessment service that can help identify options that will be a good fit for you?

I also did a quick search for re-training in Australia and this link came up: https://jobsearch.gov.au/jobseekerinfo/training-options. Perhaps this will help you with some thoughts/options?

Reply To: Changing Career Options (aka “Reinventing Yourself”)
Your information: